- 1 Is it better to be in the front or back of a cruise ship?
- 2 Who makes engines for cruise ships?
- 3 Can you tour the engine room on a cruise ship?
- 4 What happens when a cruise ship breaks down?
- 5 What should you not buy on a cruise?
- 6 What are the dirtiest cruise ships?
- 7 Do cruise ships have jails?
- 8 What is the largest engine in the world?
- 9 What fuel do cruise ships use?
- 10 How powerful is a cruise ship engine?
- 11 Where does the captain sit on a cruise ship?
- 12 Can I visit the bridge on a cruise?
- 13 What ship was the poop cruise?
- 14 Are there police on cruise ships?
- 15 How many deaths occur on cruise ships?
Is it better to be in the front or back of a cruise ship?
If you suffer from motion sickness, or are a first-time cruiser and want to play it safe; it is not recommended you sail in a stateroom in the forward section of the ship. The most desirable location is a mid-ship stateroom, or if not available, a stateroom towards the back (aft) of the ship.
Who makes engines for cruise ships?
– GE Marine Engines continues to make inroads into the cruise industry, the company reported today at the Seatrade Cruise Shipping Convention.To date, GE has 20 LM2500+ and five LM2500 aeroderivative gas turbines operating or slated for service on cruise ships, either in combined gas turbine and steam turbine
Can you tour the engine room on a cruise ship?
In order to bring extra profit and to present more personal experience to the guests, all cruise lines offer ship tours to the bridge, engine room, galley, backstage of the theatre etc. passengers to join the navigational team on the bridge as the ship departs from the port.
What happens when a cruise ship breaks down?
If engine failure means the ship will not be able to get to its final port on its own, this likely means your cruise will be canceled, and the ship will be required to limp — or be towed — to the nearest port for urgent repair work.
What should you not buy on a cruise?
Here are four generally overpriced items you shouldn’t buy on a cruise ship.
- Mainstream Liquor. Unless you’re shopping for a rare vintage, local liqueur or brand that’s not available where you live, we suggest not spending your money on booze.
- Personal Care Products.
What are the dirtiest cruise ships?
Top 6 Dirtiest Cruise Ships-CDC Publishes Its List
- Oceania Insignia. Oceania Cruises’ Insignia is one of the ships that received a failing score, 80 out of 100, due to issues with maintaining proper pH and halogen levels in its drinking water.
- Silver Wind.
- Silver Spirit.
- Safari Endeavor.
- Norwegian Breakaway.
- Le Boreal.
Do cruise ships have jails?
Cruise ships do have jails. Called the brig, they are rarely used, but when they are, it is generally for those passengers who commit serious crimes where criminal prosecution is likely, such as drug trafficking. Most guests on a cruise ship will never see the brig or have reason to visit.
What is the largest engine in the world?
The Wärtsilä RT-flex96C is a turbocharged, two-stroke reciprocating diesel engine designed to power large container ships and is the world’s largest engine.
What fuel do cruise ships use?
Most ships produce their electricity using diesel engines. Others use gas turbine engines to generate electricity. Still others use a combination of the two. Diesel engines use heavy fuel oil (“HFO”) while gas turbine engines use marine gas oil (“MGO”), which is similar to the fuel used in jet airplanes.
How powerful is a cruise ship engine?
Usually, ships are powered by four or five generator sets (medium-speed, 500 revolutions per minute), fueled by diesel and creating 8-10 megawatts energy each. The power density of marine diesel medium-speed engine is 80 kilowatts per cubic meter.
Where does the captain sit on a cruise ship?
The bridge is the control room where the captain and crew command the ship. It normally sits on the top or front of the ship and allows for a panoramic view which aids in the maneuvering of the vessel.
Can I visit the bridge on a cruise?
Most major cruise lines organise guided tours of the ship for a small group. Many expedition ships have an ‘open bridge policy’, which means you can go and see how the captain and officers control the vessel at almost any time (except when arriving into or departing from a port).
What ship was the poop cruise?
Carnival Triumph, the ‘poop cruise’ ship, passes new CDC sanitary inspection.
Are there police on cruise ships?
Major cruise lines have sophisticated security departments run by former federal, state and military law enforcement officials and are staffed by competent, qualified security personnel.
How many deaths occur on cruise ships?
How Many People Die on Cruise Ships Each Year? There are many sources which quote 200 as the number of cruise ship deaths each year.