- 1 What qualifications do you need to work on a cruise ship?
- 2 How hard is it to work on a cruise ship?
- 3 Is it worth working on a cruise ship?
- 4 Is Tattoo allowed in cruise ship?
- 5 Which cruise line pays the best?
- 6 Do cruise ship workers get free food?
- 7 How many hours a day do cruise ship workers work?
- 8 Is working on a cruise ship tax free?
- 9 Where do most cruise ship employees come from?
- 10 Is working on cruise ship fun?
- 11 What are the perks of working on a cruise ship?
- 12 Can you get laid on a cruise ship?
- 13 Where do staff sleep on cruise ships?
- 14 Are cruise ship employees criminals?
What qualifications do you need to work on a cruise ship?
To work on a cruise ship, you must meet the following basic requirements:
- Be at least 18 or 21 years old.
- Meet the language fluency requirements.
- Have a valid passport.
- Have the required visa or work permit.
- Have a basic safety training certificate.
- Pass a medical examination.
- Pass a criminal background check.
How hard is it to work on a cruise ship?
In a nutshell: cruise ship work is actually really difficult. To be honest, it’s already hard enough to work at a restaurant on land. But at sea, it’s a whole other story. In fact, most cruise ship servers have to take care of up to 30 diners at the exact same time.
Is it worth working on a cruise ship?
Not at all. While crew members do work long hours, the staff are treated quite well. Most ships these days offer very high-quality crew accommodation, along with several dining halls, crew bars, crew shops, Internet cafés, coffee bars, crew gyms, and party areas, all specifically for the crew.
Is Tattoo allowed in cruise ship?
The general rule is that tattoos should not be visible when cruise ship crews are in their uniform and in passenger areas. Tattoos on the neck – an increasingly common trend, and face – such as tribal tattoos – are highly discouraged and may not be permitted.
Which cruise line pays the best?
Best Cruise Lines for the Money
- #1. Royal Caribbean International. #1 in Best Cruise Lines for the Money.
- #2. Celebrity Cruises. #2 in Best Cruise Lines for the Money.
- #3. Norwegian Cruise Line.
- #4. Princess Cruises.
- #5. Carnival Cruise Line.
- #6. Holland America Line.
- #7. MSC Cruises.
- #8. Costa Cruises.
Do cruise ship workers get free food?
Do cruise ship employees get free food? Yes, crew members receive free food for working onboard a ship, along with a cabin to sleep in (more on that later). Similar to the guests, crew members have their own buffet style restaurant to get their meals from throughout the day.
How many hours a day do cruise ship workers work?
Rather than working traditional five-day weeks, cruise-ship employees often work seven days a week for the duration of their contracts, which can range from about two months to 11 months. The hours can also be intense, from eight to nearly 20 hours a day.
Is working on a cruise ship tax free?
Do I pay tax working on a cruise ship? HM Revenue and Customs spokesman replies: If it’s less than or equal to your allowances, you shouldn’t be paying tax and may be due a refund.
Where do most cruise ship employees come from?
Filipinos are popular cruise ship workers In total, the company employs 11,000 Filipinos, making up 14 percent of its seagoing employees. There are several reasons why Filipinos make good cruise ship crew members. The Philippines has a strong maritime heritage, so many islanders are still drawn to a seafaring life.
Is working on cruise ship fun?
There’s a big party culture, but it isn ‘t always as fun as it seems. Cruise ships have a reputation for fostering a party culture among employees fueled by long hours and cheap drinks available at crew-only bars. “It can happen very quickly where you go from a social drink to self-medicating because of loneliness.”
What are the perks of working on a cruise ship?
The Pros of Working on Cruise Ships
- You get paid to travel.
- Little to no cost of living.
- Free medical care.
- Flights to and from the ship are provided.
- Easily rack up airline flight miles.
- Short work commute.
- 6-8 week vacation in between contracts.
- Save money.
Can you get laid on a cruise ship?
Can you get laid on a cruise? It’s certainly possible to get laid on a cruise ship. You can boost your chances by booking a fun party cruise or a speciality singles cruise, rather than a cruise ship that has a lot of couples and families on board.
Where do staff sleep on cruise ships?
Staff members and officers will live on ‘A-deck’, which is just above the waterline. Most staff will have their own room which means a lot more privacy!
Are cruise ship employees criminals?
Every time a crew member enters the US they are vetted by (U.S. Customs and Border Protection) just like everyone else who enters the country.” According to the U.S. Department of State website, people applying for crew member visas can be denied because of drug or criminal activities, among other reasons.