- 1 Is working on a cruise ship good money?
- 2 How much do you get paid to work on a cruise ship?
- 3 How much do waiters get paid on cruise ships?
- 4 Do cruise ship workers get free food?
- 5 How many hours a day do cruise ship workers work?
- 6 Which cruise line pays the best?
- 7 Do you get days off working on a cruise ship?
- 8 Where do staff sleep on cruise ships?
- 9 Is working on a cruise ship tax free?
- 10 Do cruise workers get their tips?
- 11 What happens if you don’t tip on a cruise?
- 12 How much does the captain of a cruise ship earn?
- 13 Is it hard to get hired on a cruise ship?
- 14 What do cruise employees eat?
- 15 What are the possible drawbacks of working in a cruise ship?
Is working on a cruise ship good money?
A cruise-ship employee’s living costs can be much lower than those of a land-based worker, since they don’t have to pay rent or buy food. The 35 current and former cruise-ship employees who spoke with Business Insider had average monthly earnings of about $3,233 and median monthly earnings of about $2,600.
How much do you get paid to work on a cruise ship?
So what can you expect to make? The majority of positions are based on an hourly wage and most employment opportunities on a cruise ship earn $1,200-$1,500 a month. There are though, a large number of positions that can make as much as $2,500 a month equating to $13 an hour.
How much do waiters get paid on cruise ships?
A dining room waiter typically has more direct interaction with guests and valuable language skills, therefore making a reported $2,200 to $3,800 per month. A head waiter on a cruise ship will have a higher base pay than most and can make $2,600 to $4,800 per month.
Do cruise ship workers get free food?
Do cruise ship employees get free food? Yes, crew members receive free food for working onboard a ship, along with a cabin to sleep in (more on that later). Similar to the guests, crew members have their own buffet style restaurant to get their meals from throughout the day.
How many hours a day do cruise ship workers work?
Rather than working traditional five-day weeks, cruise-ship employees often work seven days a week for the duration of their contracts, which can range from about two months to 11 months. The hours can also be intense, from eight to nearly 20 hours a day.
Which cruise line pays the best?
Best Cruise Lines for the Money
- #1. Royal Caribbean International. #1 in Best Cruise Lines for the Money.
- #2. Celebrity Cruises. #2 in Best Cruise Lines for the Money.
- #3. Norwegian Cruise Line.
- #4. Princess Cruises.
- #5. Carnival Cruise Line.
- #6. Holland America Line.
- #7. MSC Cruises.
- #8. Costa Cruises.
Do you get days off working on a cruise ship?
Once they’re done training, cruise ship employees have to sign a lengthy contract, which can last for up to nine months. Of course, no days off includes holidays too! However, if an employee is given a long contract, then they can usually take a two-month break or more to live their life on land.
Where do staff sleep on cruise ships?
Staff members and officers will live on ‘A-deck’, which is just above the waterline. Most staff will have their own room which means a lot more privacy!
Is working on a cruise ship tax free?
Do I pay tax working on a cruise ship? HM Revenue and Customs spokesman replies: If it’s less than or equal to your allowances, you shouldn’t be paying tax and may be due a refund.
Do cruise workers get their tips?
Most cruise lines distribute the gratuity charges among a number of workers, including some, like laundry workers, who previously didn’t receive tips, Guilford said.
What happens if you don’t tip on a cruise?
When you forego tipping on your cruise, you aren’t hurting the corporation. You’re just lowering the pool of funds that hard-working service employees share at the end of the journey. Automatically added gratuities take the confusion out of tipping on your cruise.
How much does the captain of a cruise ship earn?
How much does a cruise ship captain make? The average salary of a cruise ship captain is $98,000. Cruise ship captain salaries vary from $44k for a less experienced captain of a small cruise ship to $177k for a captain of a mega-ship with over 20 years experience.
Is it hard to get hired on a cruise ship?
Is it hard to get a job on a cruise ship? It’s always been hard to get a job on a cruise ship, but the global pause in cruising has made it so much harder as there are thousands of experienced cruise ship workers that are now out of work.
What do cruise employees eat?
“Does the crew eat the leftover food?” The crew mess usually dishes up food that foreign crew members like — rice, fish, noodles, hamburgers. They will get leftover passenger food only if it never left the galley. They are never given anything left behind by passengers.
What are the possible drawbacks of working in a cruise ship?
The Cons of Working on Cruise Ships
- There are no days off. On ships, weekends and holidays don’t exist.
- You work long hours.
- Contracts are 4-9 months long.
- You’re on call 24/7.
- Small living quarters.
- No privacy.
- It’s like college all over again.
- The food is not the same for crew and guests.